Sunday, July 10, 2011

My White House Press Credentials



Let's hope that the Secret Service does not read my blog. I thought that you would get a kick out of seeing my White House press credentials for the Obama fundraiser in Philadelphia. Whenever you cover the President, you are always given something which says that you are a member of the White House press corps.

At the AIPAC conference, they handed us a thick coaster like picture of the White House. It was snatched from us minutes after President Obama spoke. For his fundraiser in Philadelphia, they gave up a picture of the White House stamped Property of the US Government, but this time they personalized it with our names, the paper that we represent, and the date. I was able to keep it.

Probably because the United States values freedom of the press so highly, there was very little to do to apply for White House press credentials. When I applied, they do not ask for social security number. This probably means that they do not do a background check. They also do not ask for a letter from your editor confirming that you are covering the event. The Phillies even ask for that.

A security want was waved over me and dogs smelled my bag, so I guess they do not have to worry who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment