Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Sluts from Slutwalk

Last Saturday, 400 people marched in Philadelphia's slutwalk to protest the current meme of imputing the rape victim not the rapist. Toronto women organized the first slutwalk after Toronto Police Const. Michael Sanguinetti told a personal security class at York University that "women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized."

Toronto women quickly organized a slutwalk, a protest where they marched dresses as sluts, to protest his comments. The slutwalk movement has spread like wildfire. Slutwalks have been organized as far away as Mumbai, India.

Hannah Altman, a 21 year old college student, organized the Philadelphia slutwalk. The theme of the march was "blame the perp not the clothes." The 96 degree weather did not stop the enthusiastic crowd of women, men, gay, and transgenders from demonstrating. State Senator Daylin Leach was the only man to speak.



Speaker Aishah Simmons hammered home the point that "we do not blame someone who is dressed in an expensive clothes and gold chains for being mugged; we do not fault someone that has their laptop stolen because it was forgotten in a cafe.

Rape victim Kate Rush Cook told the audience, "When I was on the witness stand during my rape trial, I was asked where I bought my panties." Her rapist was acquitted and then arrested several years later for raping someone else.

Some of my favorite slogans along the parade route were:

If my outfit was an invitation, I would be an envelope.

Clothes do not equal consent

A dress is not a yes

I dress for myself

I am dressed this way not because I want your attention but because it is hot.

Many feminists would not support the walk because of the name. I am for any event where women work together to destigmatize rape.

Young twentysomethings put out their own to finance this protest. They had to pay for a city permit, stage, speakers etc. If you have a few extra dollars and want to see this event become an annual event, please contact slutwalkphiladelphia@gmail.com to send a check.









No comments:

Post a Comment